Malibu Club Trip Leader Info

Trip Leaders, we are grateful for the time and energy you have invested in knowing kids. We are looking forward to serving you at Malibu this summer. As you prepare for your trip, please use the information below to plan.

Please give us a call (778-331-7944) or send us an email ( if you have any questions!

Quick List of Documents

Jump Links

Trip Management


See Registration Instructions section for exact deadlines for your camp week.

  • R1 - Dec 1st
  • R2 - April 1st
  • Bus Info - April 1st
  • Border Info - 10 AM 14 days prior to arrival
  • 10-Day "Call-In" - 10 AM 10 days prior to arrival
  • Registration Packet - 10 AM 2 days prior to arrival (48 hours)
  • Check-In: Upon Arrival at Camp

Check List:

Do you have:

  • Completed Online Health Forms (or PDF version Oct 2018 or later on paper) for everyone including leaders?
  • A bin for holding electronics for the week?
  • Any Permission for Camper to Leave Camp Early (YL-1855) forms?
  • All of your leader info for the border?
  • All your leaders listed in the Staff/Volunteer Roster with a current CBC?
  • Completed Leader Training on YL Access from all your leaders?

We cannot stress enough to use the tools that Young Life has provided for areas. In particular, engaging with the online health form and YL Connect Camp will make managing your camp trip so much more stream-lined.

Camp Spots

  • Check CampRes​ for the most current reservation numbers and availability.
  • To request an increase or to trade spots, contact Michelle​ at the camp office.
  • R1 Contracts are due back December 1st​ at the very latest via DocuSign.
  • R2 Contracts are due back April 1st​ at the very latest via DocuSign with final numbers of which you will be financially accountable.

Parent Letter

  • The Malibu Fact Sheet​ makes a great base for a parent newsletter or a trip meeting with campers and parents.
  • Please make sure parents are aware of the stipulations for payment of medical services rendered in BC in the event of an emergency more serious than we can tend to on-site. It is noted below in the Health Forms section.


  • We recommend using Camp Trip Manager or YL Connect Camp Beta, they will pull your trip data data for you.
  • Be aware of hidden costs if things go awry. In particular, be sure to leave enough time (1-2 hours) for crossing the border so that you don't miss your ferry reservation which will cause you to miss the Princess. This will lead to possible huge financial loss for your area, and that would be sad.
  • Look into sharing buses with other areas. Do you have an empty bus coming to get you from camp? Check with the week after you and see who would like to share your bus. It could potentially cut your bus costs in half, or at very least take the edge off if it is a partial share.

Early Commitment Incentive

Be sure to check out the early commitment incentive​. Essentially: get campers to fill out online Health Forms before March 1 and your area will be reimbursed. We highly recommend leveraging this incentive to the maximum potential for your area.

Administration and Registration

Check out the Registration Instructions page for complete details on all forms due for registration and check-in. A brief synopsis is below.

Why are the forms important?

While it may seem time consuming, we have committed to ensuring all paperwork dealing with campers is filled out and processed correctly. This is a great opportunity for us as administrators, area directors, trip coordinators and leaders to work to ensure the protection of the mission of Young Life​ by making sure all legal papers and processes (such as leader CBCs) are done and complete. Making sure all legal forms concerning campers are filled out well will reduce the risk put towards Young Life Camping and Young Life as a whole.

Leader CBC, Faith & Conduct statement, and Camp Leader Orientation

Make sure ALL of your leaders are listed in the Staff/Volunteer Roster with a current CBC on file with Young Life.
All leaders going to any YL camp this summer are required to complete the Summer Camp Leader Orientation​ through YL Access training portal. Due to our remote location and limited communications infrastructure, it is imperative that ALL leaders from your area (even last minute additions) have it documented that they have completed this prior to arriving at Malibu.

Health Forms

Please note that if someone on your trip is injured and requires hospitalization or medical care off property within BC, the camper or leader will be required to pay for the services up front. The parents will then take the receipt for the medical services paid for and submit it to their insurance company for reimbursement. Amounts that are paid and not covered by personal insurance can then be submitted to Young Life's Service Center to see if some would be covered. No medical care in Canada is able to directly bill Insurance providers from another country. The U.S. doesn't do it for Canadians. Canada doesn't do it for Americans. It's all even.

We prefer the online form for so very many reasons and on so many levels. You will need a paper copy for your travel days​ (we don't want it at camp). There is the option for a "Travel Short Form" when using the Online Health Form. More info for travel days.

Giving support to those filling out the online form:

  • Make sure they have your camp week dates and your area number.
  • Have them complete everything as best as possible, if they aren't sure, skip it on the first pass and when you hit submit at the end it will give yellow warnings where there is missing required information.
  • If a section is not relevant to the camper or leader, leave it blank, do not have them put "None" or "n/a".
  • Instructions to share with parents, leaders and trip coordinators.

PDF'S​ - For any areas using the paper PDF version of the YL6007, make sure you have the most current version completed in order to not be required to turn in an extra form for the Consent to Medical Treatment in Canada. If you have any version that is not indicated at the bottom of the page as being from Oct 2018 or later, you will be required to submit a whole other form with original parental signatures for each person in your trip that does not have a current version of the YL6007.

Registration Packet

Includes the A-Form, Ethnicity, 2nd Timer, and the Housing Request sheets. Please read the instructions on the first tab of the document. You will need Excel.

  • Registration Package (A-Form and Housing Requests)

To help with Housing in the Registration Packet: Available Summer Camper Housing

Permission to Leave Early Forms

Instructions​ for the 1853 form found on Staff Resources. ​ 1853 Permission for Camper to Leave Camp Early.


The Trip Leader (the adult responsible for your whole trip while they are traveling as well as while they are at camp) will need to have a mobile phone that will be turned on the duration of the trip, including while traveling through Canada. It is of utmost importance that the phone number they have listed on the 10-Day Call-in have the ability to call out as well as receive calls while they are traveling in Canada until cell service disappears up the inlet.

  • Best border crossing - use the Pacific Hwy Border Crossing (From the States it is on Hwy 543 off I-5, from Canada it is on Hwy 15)
    - Peace Arch could be a zoo, don't go there, turn off US I-5 before you get there and go to the Pacific Truck crossing.
    - Lynden (US539 or CAN13) and Sumas (US9 or CAN11) are small and will be much slower to process buses, if you are in vans then this could be an option to get away from traffic.
  • Princess sailing times are subject to change based on number of buses and BC Ferry Reservations. You will be notified by the Malibu Office if any changes have been made.
  • If your group misses the Princess, you will be charged for all additional costs to transport your area to camp.
  • Plan the departure from your area with enough time to arrive 30-60 minutes prior to your reservation with the BC Ferries Horseshoe Bay Terminal, please give plenty of margin:
    - ​Buses, the camp office will give you your reservations when they are secured from the BC Ferries.
    - Non-bus vehicles, make the reservations yourself for the sailing the camp office instructs you to be on.
  • Please allow yourself 1-2 hours at the border to clear Customs and Immigration. Again, allow for margin.


  • The length and maximum number of passengers of your buses is due with R2 on April 1st.
  • An empty bus run will not receive a reservation on the ferry from us, only charter buses with campers aboard will receive reservations.
  • Use BusRates​​ to find a bus company.
  • We recommend using Journey Lines for your buses if you are flying into Seattle or from the Seattle/Tacoma area. Their drivers don't get lost and they are willing to work with our areas to minimize empty buses.
    - They are listed on ​ ​ ​ ​ Phone: 800-584-3527
  • For your trip home please ensure that your buses are at the Malibu Landing in Egmont 45-60 minutes before your arrival. It will be a quick turn around to make the ferry returning home.
Directions to Malibu

2nd Timers / Repeaters

  • Please note all 2nd Timers on your A-Form in the Registration Package.
  • Do you have 2nd Timers staying back home while everyone else heads to camp? Check out the Home Team Journal​ for 2nd Timers to spiritually engage while others are at camp.
  • Do you have 2nd Timers coming on the trip with you? Prepare your 2nd timers to engage in their important role at camp.

Adult Guests

If you have an adult individual or couple that is wanting to come along to Malibu with your camp trip, there is a possibility that they might be good candidates for our Adult Guest program. Young Life's Adult Guest program is a great time to "buy in" adults from your area who are interested in Young Life but are not involved yet, or don't really know what Young Life is about.

"The general purpose of the Adult Guest Program is to expose adults to Young Life who can have a significant impact in a local area or on the mission as a whole. As you consider who to invite to be an adult guest, focus on those who will significantly help the local area, such as leadership on the committee. Include those who can influence public opinion about Young Life, such as a school superintendent, principal, head coach or community leader."

  • The purpose of the Adult Guest program would not be intended for individuals who know and love the ministry and are looking for a way to come to camp. Encourage them to be leaders! The design of the program is to reach out to adults in the hope that they will feel called to partner with the ministry in some fashion.
  • Feel free to share the Adult Guest program section of Malibu's website.

Action Steps and Information for Registering

  • Sign in to Staff Resources to view the Availability Report​.
  • Read the AG Program Guide purpose​ and grab the Online Registration Form.
  • Send in registrations even if there isn't room listed on the Availability Report as we can put them on the waitlist in case someone drops unexpectedly.
  • One registration form per room.
  • One room at Malibu houses 1 married couple or​ 1 single person.
  • Adult Guest fees are collected from an Area's OPERATIONS account, not Campership. See the full AG Policy.

Border Information

Friends, we would like to put this as gently as possible. If you are coming to camp at Malibu, you are going to leave your home country, and enter a foreign one. Again, you will be entering a foreign country. That means paper work and legal documents. We want to make this as smooth of a process for you as possible. Please pour over the information below. Then, pour another cup of coffee and go over it again. If you have questions, call us, email us. Allow us to help make things very clear and manageable for you.


  • Chaperone info - 14 days before your arrival at Malibu at the very latest
  • Legal First Name
  • Legal Middle Name(s)
  • Legal Last Name
  • Date of Birth (incl. the year)
  • Sex
  • Please note anyone who is not an American citizen

Check List:

Do you have:

  1. Legal Proof of Citizenship for all your Chaperones/Leaders and campers?
  2. Parental Consent to Cross the border form for all your campers, must be original?

What the Canadian border wants:

At the gate:
  • Only one person from the vehicle or bus should speak to the border officers.
  • Have all ID and consent forms available and well organized in a binder or bin.
  • Adults on the trip are called Chaperones, NOTLeaders.
  • Only​ Legal Adults, aged 19 or over are chaperones, everyone​ 18 and under are campers.
  • None of you are coming to work at the camp.
Canada Border Services Criminal Record Checks:
  • Be aware of anyone on your trip who is of legal age and has a record. They may be detained at the border, and possibly refused entry.
  • Canada Border Services runs their own background checks on pretty much everyone coming to camp except the campers themselves. This includes chaperones coming with students.
  • We will not know background check results until you show up at the border. The results will be waiting for you at the border.
  • Guests and chaperones have been refused entry to Canada because of having a record, even for something minor.
  • DUIs, being caught with a fake ID in the past, a simple misdemeanor in your home state that is not a misdemeanor in BC​ can all stop you from gaining entry into the country.
  • Don't get blindsided by it.
  • They are able to apply for entry ahead of time, something you would want them to look into for themselves now so it does not hold your entire trip up at the border and cause you to miss the ferry. It can take up to a year for that process, so the person themselves should speak to an Immigration lawyer as soon as possible to find out what needs to be done.
  • Please provide the following information for each of your Chaperones (YL Leaders) to the Malibu Office 14 days before​ your camp trip at the very latest: Legal First Name, Legal Middle Name(s), Legal Last Name, Date of Birth, Sex.
  • Feel free to send the Chaperone list earlier if you have your Chaperone/Leader list complete and there will be no further additions. Drops are fine. Additions cannot happen after the 14-day prior to arrival mark.
  • The border does not give us allowances for weekends.
  • We will be sending out reminder emails along the way letting you know this information will be due soon. Emails will go to the addresses listed on Staff Resources.
  • Please check in with us to ensure we have updated names on file for your trip coordinators/trip leader.
Identification for Proof of Citizenship:
  • ID Requirements for U.S. Citizens​ (Canadian Border Services)
  • It is up to your area to determine what identification is required of students based on the information below.
  • How much hassle would you like to endure at the border, or how smoothly you would like things to go?
  • Your goal should be having zero issues and a smooth transition. Anything beyond that is up to you as to what your Trip Leader wants to deal with.
  • Yes, there is space for "we don't HAVE to have the #1 option", but consider moving into those "exception" spaces with caution. All may be permissible, but it is not beneficial. 1 Cor 10:23
  • Remember your area's decisions do not exist in a vacuum. Your interactions with the Canadian Border Services agents will have a bearing on Young Life groups coming after you, even into next summer. Please keep this in mind as you decide what your area will ask your students to provide.


  1. The best option is always a valid passport, no matter what the person's age or role.
    - Passports must be intact, no loose pages or lose cover.
    - Passports should expire at the very least 6 months after the date of your trip.
  2. Other options would be machine readable/scannable ID such as enhanced driver's license, passport card, or a Nexxus pass.
  3. If nothing else is available, they can present an original or certified birth certificate (proof of citizenship) and government issued photo ID (this is not proof of citizenship, but identification that the person named on the birth certificate / proof of citizenship is the person in front of them). This option should be a last resort if the other two points above are absolutely not possible.

We hear anecdotal stories of areas using non-government issued ID (such as school ID cards) for a few of their kids and getting through fine. That's great. Using non-government issued ID is not according to governmental documentation and will be reason for the border officer to possibly start asking more questions which could result in a longer wait time or greater frustration for yourself and the officers, and possible denial of entry. It also leads them to start asking more questions of every trip after you too. Remember that every exception (meaning option number 3 above) piles up on the CBSA officers who are processing all Malibu trips each week until it looks to them like all Malibu trips want the exceptions to be the rule. The actions of areas in Week 1 are going to impact the processing experience for those in later weeks and later years, in the same way that the actions of the trips from last year are going to impact all the trips for this year.

Parental/Guardianship Consent

We provide an excel document as a resource for you to document parental consent to take the students to Canada. The purpose is to show that you are not stealing a bus load of teenagers. We do not want anything in this document turned into us at camp. It is simply a resource to help you. Please keep it in a separate binder for your return trip home. It must be an original signature.


  • Download the Border Crossings Consent excel document
  • Fill out your area and trip leader information at the bottom of the​ first tab
  • Print one copy​ of the second tab
  • Print one copy of the third tab for each student​ who is coming and have the parents fill out all the information by hand and sign it.
  • Keep them alphabetically in a binder and keep them separate from the Health Forms you will turn in to camp to make Check-In at camp faster. We don't want them in the camp office and you will need them for the return trip home.

What the U.S. border wants:


WHTI Travel Document Requirements​ (US Customs and Border Protection)

Proof of Citizenship


  1. The best option is always a valid passport.
    - Passports must be intact, no loose pages or lose cover.
    - Passports must expire at very least 6 months after the date of your trip.
  2. Other options would be machine readable/scannable ID such as enhanced driver's license, passport card, or a Nexxus pass.
  3. If nothing else is available, then for those 18 and under traveling with a religious group can present a birth certificate (proof of citizenship) and government issued photo ID (this is not proof of citizenship, but identification that the person named on the birth certificate/ proof of citizenship is the person in front of them). This is according to the WHTI agreement.
Parental/Guardianship Consent
  • Use the same Consent documents as you did for entering Canada. Please do not throw these away or leave them at Malibu when you arrive here. You will need them for the return trip home.
Non-U.S. Citizen Guests

Please make sure that you have checked with the latest requirements for any students or leaders in your group who either do not have a U.S. passport, or who are dual passport holders. You will need to stay abreast of all changes that are occurr​ing in U.S. Immigration policies and how it will affect people in your group, particularly if you have people with valid student visas, work visas, or green cards understand that their status in the U.S. could change at a moment's notice.

Undocumented Students

Someone who is undocumented means that, although they were born in the States, due to their family situation, they have no proof at all of citizenship. They are usually children of illegal immigrants. We are utterly, utterly delighted that you are walking alongside these often marginalized youth. We would highly recommend not removing any undocumented students from America to bring them to camp. They will probably gain entry to Canada, but it is a very good possibility that they will not be able to return to America. You should plan a trip to another Young Life camp within the U.S. for any undocumented Americans.


A large part of the over all experience of Malibu is the journey it takes to get here. When you travel to Malibu, you will be taking two different boats. The first is a BC Ferry. The second is Young Life's Malibu princess from the Malibu Landing (located in Egmont, BC) directly to a dock at camp. For most campers (and some leaders!) this will be an adventure of a life time. We've broken down the travel by boat into two different sections below.

Important things to note:
  • If your group misses the prearranged boat we send you the information for (Princess or Water Taxis), you will be charged for all additional costs to transport your area to camp.
  • Plan the departure from your area with enough time to arrive at the BC Ferries Horseshoe Bay Terminal 30-60 minutes prior to your scheduled reservation time unless instructed otherwise. You will receive the scheduled reservation time for your buses around April or May as that is when the BC Ferries will let us know what they are giving us.
  • Please allow yourself 1-2 hours at the border to clear Customs and Immigration to make it to the ferry on time.
  • For your trip out please ensure your buses are waiting at the Malibu Landing in Egmont 45-60 minutes before your arrival​.
  • We highly recommend sharing buses with other areas coming the week before you or after you to decrease the amount of empty buses on the ferries and in the parking lot at the Landing.


Due with R2 April 1st:

  • Number of buses
  • Length of each bus
  • Maximum number of passengers

This will allow us to finalize the reservations for buses on the BC Ferries when they are full of campers

Check List:

Bring with you to the BC Ferries, 30-60 minutes before departure time:

  • Form of Payment
  • Reservation Number
  • Number of Passengers

BC Ferries

  • You will use the Sunshine Coast Route - Horseshoe Bay to Langdale.
  • Please note travelers are only charged one direction for the full trip.
  • When you pay on the Vancouver side for the ferry, it is round trip.​
  • It is between you and your bus company which of you will cover the bus and driver cost.
  • It is up to your area to cover passenger cost associated with BC Ferries.
  • Check out information on the Experience Cards to save your group money for passenger fees. Note there is a surcharge on top of the fee, be sure to include that in your calculations. You can find more on their website:
At the Ticket Booth

You will need:

  • Your Booking Number
  • A payment method (Experience Cards highly recommended, they will save you money)
  • Malibu only secures the Ferry Reservations for charter buses with campers aboard. We do not make reservations for any buses traveling empty. Only make reservations for empty buses.
  • Due with your R2 from each area: the number of buses, their length, and the maximum number of passengers submitted to the Malibu Office.
  • If your area is taking additional vehicles, or is not taking charter buses, you will need to make the reservations yourself. You can make reservations online at
  • For charter buses that you have told us about, we will send you:
    - A booking number for each bus (this is specific to one bus including length and maximum number of passengers, it is not transferrable to another bus)
    - The time of your ferry reservation
  • Please have the trip leader check in at the Chief Steward's office on the passenger deck. Let them know which group you are with and who they can page if they are in need of assistance with your group members.
  • Please ask your campers (and leaders) to behave on the ferry. We want to be good stewards of the relationship between Malibu and the BC Ferry crew.
  • Please have your leaders listen for the docking announcement and have all your campers and leaders down to the buses/vehicles right away so no one is straggling during off-loading.

Young Life Boats

  • There are two different boats that will bring campers and leaders to Malibu Club.
  • You will receive all information about boat schedules and what boat you are taking from the Malibu Admin Office around the 10-Day Call-in.
  • Either means of transportation give campers a front row view to some of the most amazing scenery B.C. has to offer!
  • All passengers of any boat arranged by camp will be charged Boat Fare
  • Anyone departing early must have a Permission to Leave Early form submitted to the office at check-in on Day 1.
  • If you have someone arriving or departing camp on some other mode of transportation, you must inform the camp office at least at 10-Day Call-in. You will be charged for the Boat Fare regardless of whether the person flew or not.
The Malibu Princess
  • The Malibu Princess is Young Life's very own passenger vessel.
  • Carries up to 375 campers and leaders for the 3 hour voyage from the Malibu Landing to Malibu Club, traveling along the Jervis Inlet.
  • If you miss the Princess, you will be charged for each Water Taxi we will arrange to get your area to camp, plus you will be charged for the Boat Fare for Malibu Yachts. Water Taxis are around $450 to $480 per boat, each boat holds a maximum of 12 people.
  • Please plan accordingly for time at the border so you don't miss the ferry, and so you don't miss the Princess because missing the Princess is sad, and we don't want you to be sad.
Water Taxis
  • If the number of camp guests exceeds the capacity of the Princess, some areas may be required to take camp-arranged Water Taxis, also departing from the Malibu Landing.
  • This is not a choice.
  • There is no difference in price for the Boat Fare.
  • It is neither a punishment nor a privilege and it will be determined logically by camp trip numbers.
  • Water Taxis might leave at a different time from the Princess depending an a variety of factors.

Registration Instructions

The following information is a full detail of what we will need for camp registration from your area. Do all of this and send updated documents with any changes prior to your group's arrival and check-in should be quick. It is our personal goal to have you checked in and out of the office in less than 5 minutes. We want you to be out with your campers, not stuck in the office with us until 11pm on night 1 (it happens more often than you think!).

Please have all trip leaders, team leaders, area directors , admins, and trip coordinators associated with your area read over this section so we can get the Trip Leader back to where they belong on Day 1, enjoying Malibu with your students!

Check List:

Do you have:

  • Current emails of those who need to know info for your trip on file with the Camp Office?
  • All of your leader information for the border?
  • Are all of your leaders listed on the Staff / Volunteer Roster with a current Criminal Background Check?
  • Have all your cabin leaders completed the Leader Training
  • Any Permission to Leave Camp Early forms?
  • Online Health Form completed by everyone on your trip?

Step One: Keep Contact Info Updated

  • Please make sure all people who should receive information about your trip are on the list of contacts with the camp office.
  • AD/Primary Contact (input in Mission Security)
  • Area Admin (input on your contract or email the camp office)
  • Trip Leader (person attending camp with the trip - input on your contract or email the camp office)
  • Trip Coordinator (not the Admin or AD who is planning the trip and not attending as the Trip Leader - send name to camp office)
  • Everyone listed as a trip contact must have Young Life screening completed and be listed in the YL Staff Directory.
  • Email addresses and phone numbers for the above contacts will pull from Staff Resources, so be sure everyone involved in the trip has their information current in the Young Life account on Staff Resources. We are not able to update that information for you. If you/they see their email or phone listed incorrectly, then they need to change that in Staff Resources themselves.
  • The contacts you send in for your area will receive, a few days before each item is due, email reminders to the email address listed in Staff Resources.

Step Two: Forms Due Prior to Arrival

R1 Contracts
  • Due by December 1 or the first weekday if the 1st falls on a weekend.
  • Areas are not financially responsible for the spots they claim at this point.
  • Please contact Michelle at​ if you have any questions.
R2 Contracts
  • Due by April 1 or the first weekday if the 1st falls on a weekend.
  • Areas are financially responsible for 90% of the spots they claim at this point.
  • Areas bringing below 90% will be charged an accountability fee of 1/3 the camp fee for the number of spots below that 90% line.
  • You can use the second page of the A-Form in the Registration Package to calculate if you will be facing an accountability charge.
  • Please contact Michelle at​ if you have any questions.
Leader / Chaperone Information

Canada Border Services

  • Due 10:00 am 14 days prior to arrival​ at camp at the very latest
  • Submit to the office:
    - Legal First Name, Middle Name(s), and Last Name
    - Date of Birth including the year
    - Sex
  • Areas flying directly to Vancouver, at this point, do not need to submit

Young Life Screening

  • ALL leaders need to be listed on the Staff/Volunteer Roster with a current Criminal Background Check (CBC) on file.
  • No one​ should be coming to camp as a cabin leader without being listed as either a staff or a volunteer with Young Life.
  • The same time you are gathering information for the border would be a good time to check to make sure all CBCs are up to date and everyone is listed on the Young Life roster.
10-Day "Call-in"
  • Due 10:00 am PST 10 days prior to arrival​ at camp at the very latest
  • Submit the online 10-Day "Call-in" Form

You will be asked for the following information, please have it handy when filling out the 10-Day Call-in form:

  • Trip Leader contact info (the person in charge who is actually on the bus).
  • Break down of male/female numbers of campers and leaders.
  • Any special needs for campers or leaders (physical, dietary, emotional, cognitive).
  • Any life threatening allergies for campers or leaders.
  • Information on any campers or leaders arriving late or departing early
    - 1853 Permission for Camper to Leave Camp Early​ will need to be turned in at Check-In, Day 1 at camp
  • Other physical/health/safety limitations or concerns we should be aware of in your group.
Registration Package
  • Due 10:00 am PST 2 days prior to arrival at camp at the very latest
  • Download the Registration Package
  • The Registration Package includes: A-Form, Ethnicity Report, 2nd Timer Report (includes those who have attended a summer Freshman Camp previously per 2nd Timer Policy​), Housing Requests
  • Submit by email to
  • To fill it out you will need Microsoft Excel, it is available through Young Life
  • Follow the directions on the first tab of the document to capture the following data:
    - Names of all campers and indicate if they are Repeat Campers (2nd Timers, 3rd Timers)
    - Names of all leaders and indicate if they are volunteer or staff
    - Indicate if leaders have completed their cabin leader training for this year
    - Housing breakdown with campers and leaders - be sure not to forget anyone
    - Number of Staff Dependent Scholarships requested, names of staff dependent campers, and names of staff
    - Number of Urban Camp Scholarships applied for
    - Ethnicity breakdown of campers and leaders
    - Number of Capernaum campers (this is any camper who would benefit from the Capernaum Ministry even if they are not currently part of a Capernaum group)

Step Three: Forms Due at Check-In

We know that you just got off of a very long boat ride, and before that a very long bus ride. Coming into the office to do paperwork doesn't sound ideal. But here's the thing: We like you, dear friends, and as Young Life leaders you are right up there with Superman and Captain America in our books. So we promise to greet you with smiling faces and a pitcher of ice cold water. And chocolate. Always chocolate. Then send you on your way. It is our personal goal to have you checked in and out of the office in less than 5 minutes. We want you to be out with your campers, not stuck in the office with us until 11pm on night 1 (Yuck!).

Please, please, have the Trip Leader who is attending camp with the campers read over this page so we can get them back to where they belong, enjoying Malibu with your students!

The Trip Leader will need to head to the Malibu Office on Main Street at Camp as soon as they get off the boat. The Admin Team will ask the following questions:

  • Do you want some water? Do you want a chocolate or candy? Any changes to the Registration Packet data that have occurred in the past 48 hours? Any adds or drops​ in Campers or Leaders? Do you have anyone leaving early?
  • We will ask for any missing data that was not on the Registration Packet (all the info above such as ethnicity, repeat campers, or Capernaum).

While this is going on, we will be checking over any paper Health Forms to ensure they are all filled out to completion and are the most current version.

If there are any forms missing, not a current version, or incomplete and the Trip Leader has already left, they will be called back in during the first Leader Meeting or we'll find them at dinner.

Health and Consent Forms
  • Due at Check-In upon arrival​ at camp
  • Each person at Malibu must have a completed and current version of the Camping Health, Consent, and Release Form (YL6007)​ - Online Form
  • Each person coming to Malibu needs to complete this form. Are you a legal adult or leader? Still need a form.
  • Already been to Malibu once this calendar year? Still needs to complete a form for the new camp trip. Using the Online Form makes this process super quick as you can copy your form and adjust it for the new camp dates.
  • If you do go with the PDF option for the YL6007
    - The PDF ​MUST be the most current version of the YL6007 - it will be noted on the bottom of the form as being Oct 2018 or later.​
    - Ensure everyone has everything signed. All the places on the back page must be signed.
    - TIP: Put your paper health forms (any not done online, if they're online then we don't want them on paper) in a binder or folder alphabetized by last name, with a separate section for your leaders. This will help us whip through making sure that they are all complete.
  • Instructions to share with parents, leaders and trip coordinators
  • Instructions for trip coordinators and admins​ to manage (check that everyone is complete and has selected Malibu and the correct dates) and print (use the Travel Short Form for the travel copy) health forms for the camp trip
  • Common Mistakes to avoid:
    - The number one mistake people make is not realizing leaders also need forms.
    - Mistakes number two and three are only with the PDF version of the YL6007 - to stay away from these, use the Online Form. Mistake number two is not using the most current version of the PDF YL6007. It should be indicated as Oct 2018 or later. Mistake number three is incomplete forms - not having all the parental signatures in all the places, and not having information like insurance (even if that means intentionally ticking off the "not insured" box versus leaving it blank).
    - Please don't let these mistakes be what keeps you from being out with your kids! You want to be out eating ice cream with them, not spending time in the office calling through all the parents to explain what they need to do before bed-time, and why your trip didn't have those organized prior to departure from home. Let's save face! Let's eat ice cream! Let's have everything taken care of before your bus leaves home! Go Team!

Using the Online Health Form application on the Young Life website will make your life so much easier. If you feel that you may have families who struggle with technologically, suggestion: have a Health Form party where you have leaders (with a bit of knowledge on how to fill out the form) with a handful of laptops. One, you have both campers and leaders filling out the forms, and two, you have more interaction between Parents and Leaders. Win/Win.)

Permission for Camper to Leave Camp Early forms

POST-Trip Information

  • ​Due within a day of departure, or earlier, is the Trip Leader Observation on the Camp Week Report. Previously we had been allowed to do it on paper to be handed in at camp on Day 6 at lunch. Young Life has now gone to all forms being due online only.
  • Take note of the Lost and Found form on the contact page of Malibu's website. Direct your leaders, campers, parents to that main page to report any Lost and Found items discovered after arriving home.

Wait - What is due when?

Please note that everything is due by 10 am, Pacific Time. Weekends or holidays are no exceptions, except for R2 Contracts. Please call the Malibu Office if you have questions.

Due Date Timeline

R2 Contracts
Border Info
10-Day Call-in
Registration Packet
Trip Leader Report

Week 1

April 1st (or first weekday)




Week 2

April 1st (or first weekday)




Week 3

April 1st (or first weekday)




Week 4

April 1st (or first weekday)




Week 5

April 1st (or first weekday)




Week 6

April 1st (or first weekday)




Week 7

April 1st (or first weekday)




Week 8

April 1st (or first weekday)




Week 9

April 1st (or first weekday)




Week 10

April 1st (or first weekday)




Week 11

April 1st (or first weekday)




Life at Malibu

Communication Infrastructure


There is no available wifi for guests, leaders or campers. If a leader needs to contact the outside world for highly imperative reasons, they can use the phone in the camp office during regular office hours (see below for more information)

Malibu is one of the few places left in the world where you disconnect from technology. We encourage everyone to embrace it alongside the campers. It is awesome!​


There is nothing better than getting a letter from home while you are away at camp! We love being able to get notes and care packages to leaders and campers while they are here for the week. Due to our remote location, it takes a very long time (and we mean VERY) for letters and especially packages to arrive here at Malibu. In order for a piece of mail to get here in time, we recommend parents/friends send it 4-6 weeks in advanced, as it will need to clear customs and make its way up the inlet. We will hold mail here for campers that have yet to arrive and prefer to hold them before their arrival than to received it after they have left camp.

If a parent is sending a care package, have them write "Gift" and give a very low value on any customs documentation. If there are duties charged on the item, the camper may have to pay the fees on their package before it can be picked up from the post office, and thus the recipient may leave the country before they receive their gift. We cannot pay duty or brokerage fees for packages received, if fees are applied at the border and charged to us we will expect payment from the parents or from your area. This can be very expensive.


There is no cell phone service or pay phones in the area. All campers, guests, and leaders will need to take care of all out standing business at home before they arrive at camp. If there are imperative or emergency events that come up while at camp, then leaders can use the satellite phone in the camp office during regular office hours. All calls are limited to 5 minutes maximum. It is 50 cents a minute and is payable by either Internal Area Transfer, cash, or credit card. Campers will not be allowed to use the phone without Head Leader approval and a leader present with them during the emergency phone call.

Address Mail in the following format:

Camper's Name
Camper - (Dates they are at camp)
Malibu Club
6545 Maple Road
Egmont, BC V0N 1N0

If mail is sent the day your trip leaves, or while you are at camp, recipients will not receive the mail, and it will be returned to the sender at their cost.


Payment Types

All retail areas accept both U.S. and Canadian currency​ and cheques. The store accepts Visa and Mastercard. The concession shops (snack bar and coffee) and the craft shop accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover.

Many U.S. debit cards will flip to credit when you cross the border, and if credit has been disabled on the card, then it will decline at time of purchase. Have campers and leaders check the settings on their credit cards prior to departing home.

We do not have an ATM at camp so if someone wants to use cash, they must bring it with them.

Area Tabs

We would love to help you set up Area Tabs in the Totem Inn (snack shop) and Hamilton's (coffee) so your leaders can enjoy one-on-ones. It is much easier for each area to set up an Internal Transfer then you can designate a specific limit for each concession area and not have to worry about working out the refund on Day 6, as we will only charge you for the amount that you spend (eg. if your tab was made for $100, but you only use $60, then we'll only charge the $60). Tabs set up in the stores with cash or credit card won't get refunded, only the Internal Transfer Area Tabs will be refunded at the end of the week. Please head into the office to check in with our Admin team about setting those up. All Internal Transfer amounts will be set up in Canadian Dollars.


The Medicine Man is covered by at least one BC licensed physician, and either a second BC licensed physician, or nurse or paramedic. They are available for general health ailments that come up through the camp week during clinic hours that are for half an hour after breakfast and half an hour after dinner. For emergency situations, they will be contacted by property staff.


In the event of an emergency situation where a guest requires further medical care than what we can provide on-site, they will be transported to the hospital. The BC health care system is not able to directly bill American insurance companies, so payment for all medical services is due upon services rendered. When the patient returns home, they can submit the receipt to their health insurance company for reimbursement.


Due to the remote location of camp, and the complexity of transport, we take life-threatening allergies very seriously. We check health forms and 10-Day Call-in reports for indications of serious allergies and we will follow up with the area staff so the medical team can determine if the person should attend such a remote location. In the best of circumstances, it is a minimum of 3 hours to the closest medical facility.

Lock Up Items

We have combination locks to be checked out from the office to lock items in a drawer in the Men's Cabins, and there are small safes in the Women's cabins. Please visit the office on Main Street if you have questions/problems.


Trip leaders collect all electronics from their campers. We do not have the space nor capacity to keep them in the camp office. We encourage you to grab a bin or a bag with the ability to be locked to store them yourself in your rooms, perhaps under a bunk or in the lockable drawers/room safes mentioned above.


We understand that in some states medications, even over the counter, are required to be documented and locked up. That is not the case here.​ If they self-medicate at home, then they self-medicate here. If you have a student with medications that should not be out in the open, there are the above lock up methods in the cabins, or a leader can discuss with the camp doctor about lock up in the Medicine Man to be accessed only during clinic hours.

What to pack

Malibu Club provides all bedding for your stay (sheets, towels, pillows, and blankets).

Make sure to bring...
  • Clothes that you can get dirty
  • Warmer clothes for the evening
  • Closed-toed shoes for some of the activities
  • At least one pair of long pants for some of the activities
  • One nice outfit
  • Toiletries
  • Bathing suit and towel for the pool
  • Rain jacket
  • Sunscreen
  • Spending money
  • Camera
  • Medicine


Malibu Club has a very mild climate. Expect temperatures in the 30s F during winter, 50s F during spring and fall and 70s-90s F in the summer. Evenings can be cold and rain is always​ a possibility. This is the "Pacific Northwest" (to use American terminology), so layers and a rain jacket are always a good idea.

Lost & Found

All found items, including valuables, are gathered to the Linen Nook that is located under the Sitka dorm near Crossroads. If an items is missing throughout the camp week, they can check with the Nook to see if it has been found. If they discover something is missing, or it hasn't been located, by the time they return home, direct them to the contact page of the Malibu website and half way down is a button for Lost & Found. They can report the missing items there and someone from the department will be in contact with them to arrange shipment if the item is found.

​ © 2004-2021 Young Life. All rights reserved.